Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Korean Chop Chae Recipe for Lynn

Do you have a sister-in-law who give you a back massage? I do. Am I blessed or what? Thanks Lynn for embracing me as a sister. Here is the Korean chop chae recipe you wanted. Nothing is set in stone. I "eyeball" everything so cannot tell you the exact measurements. Try it out and let me know how it turns out. I am planning to try out Mom's jellyroll soon. I will let you know how it turned out.

Ingredients

  • vegetable Oil
  • sesame oil
  • salt
  • garlic
  • soy sauce (I use kikkomen if I have but you can use any other brand you like. I used Aloha shoyu when I was out of kikkomen)
  • 2 onions; sliced vertically
  • 6 pieces shitake mushrooms; sliced thinly (stem removed)
  • 1 carrot; shredded
  • 5 bundles of spinach
  • 1/2 lb sirloin beef
  • 4 eggs
  • sesame seeds (toasted) - optional
  • green onion

Instructions

It's really simple to make it but it takes time to prep all the veggies. Korean love their veggies. What can I tell you. I use vegetable oil to fry prepped carrot, onion, and shitake mushroom (I use dried kind - just soak it in water overnight) individually. I use salt to season. The colors are so lovely. I soak cook spinach in boilng water - more like blanching (in and out) to retain its color and nutrients. Wash in cool water; squeeze out the water (very important to squeeze all the water out); then season with minced garlic, salt, sesame seed oil, and sesame seed. Prep the eggs by frying it flat then slicing them into thin strips (season with salt) then prep your beef by slicing them into thin strips; seasoning with salt then frying them in vegetable oil. Taste each one as you cook. You can prep all these the night before. These are also good to eat on their own.

Lastly cook the noodle just before the event/dinner (maybe 2-3 hours). You can cook it as directed on the package - cook in boiling water. What I found that worked better is that you do not wash it in cold water. Cook in slightly underdone then leave it in the colander to cook all the way as it dries. If you wash it in cold water, the noodles becomes too fat and does not retain that elasticity. You can try them both ways.

Once the water is drained, add all of the ingredients and mix. Add soy sauce and saseme seed oil to taste. You can add sesame seed and green onion as garnish. Let me know if you have questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog!